Wednesday 7 May 2008

This week I have mainly been drinking...


Red Bull Terrier (4.8%) by Barngates Brewery of Ambleside, Cumbria. 

I've been drinking it at the Black Dog Inn, Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria which is a tremendous pub despite the dodgy carpet and formica bar-top. The food is "gastro" without ever using that dread word.

We found Red bull Terrier to be very dark red and possessed of a hugely complex flavour. Spicy, fruity flavours brought to mind the orangey Green & Blacks Mayan Gold chocolate, but without the chocolate, if you see what I mean. I've no idea if the beer actually contains any spices and I don't actually care, it works beautifully whatever it is.

The beer was in super good condition, sublimely beautiful, literally a conversation stopper. We sipped in beaming silence, revelling in our good fortune. 

We all have a personal "Pint of the Year" competition going on in our heads – this was beyond even that; a pint of the decade.

This pint (four actually) reminded me why I care about beer.

No comments: